Thursday, April 22, 2004

Happy Birthday Earth!

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

Well, not really a birthday, but it is Earth Day! A day for all of us to feel guilty about not recycling, too much packaging, really wanting all wood furniture, liking fast cars (really liking them), using disposable anything, etc….

I just realized (well I had known it all along but it came to the forefront just now) what an incredibly disposable society we are. The more easily disposable it is, the better, seems to be the mantra in the good ole US of A.

I remember once in Oaxaca, Mexico I asked for a drink to go and was sooo perplexed as they started to put it in a plastic baggie. I repeated, “no, para llevar” and C just looked at me like I was an idiot. They returned the drink to me in a plastic bag tied off around a straw. Ingenious. No bulky stryofoam to congest landfills. The reasons were most likely for cost efficiency rather than environmental, but it still helps. Every bit helps.

I can't even begin to convey how much I want a hybrid SUV. But will it go fast? I must admit that I get a rush when I can smoke everyone at a light. Yesterday, I thought an old beetle wanted to race. I was actually hoping he would win. It’s not everyday that an old bug smokes a Benz(not me, but it is my car for now!). In the end, I left them all in the dust though. It’s nice to have a fast car. I wasn’t going really fast, but it was onto a highway exit, so you do have to fast. I just like that feeling when the car is slightly out of your control – you get pushed back into your seat and can almost imagine G-forces. I practically salivate at the thought of driving a Ferrari (in Germany) but then I think about how much gas they guzzle and feel completely guilty.

The conundrum that is I.

Why do I really like weird sentence structure?