Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Fools and Fanatics vs. The Wise

Philosopher, mathematician and writer, Bertrand Russell, once said, 
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are 
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

Ain't that the fucking truth.  I guess the wise like to be sure they are right and will exhaust all other possibilities until they are certain.  This takes time.   Wise statement huh?  Well... I admit, not really.

Does this make you smarter if you don't believe in god?  Or the bible?  I believe in the bible.  Its an interesting work of fiction, one of the first (if not the first) about a man who had a message people liked.   Perhaps I think this because I finished that really popular book called.....well, frankly I don't remember.  All that comes to mind is "The Celestine Prophecy" but I know that's not the one.  Or maybe I thought this all along.  Yeah, for as long as I can remember, I have thought the bible an old work of fiction elevated to a false status by fanatics or people who need something, anything to believe in.  I don't understand that.  It is what it is (line from aforementioned book whose name I can't remember).

Still sad, but felt I had to post something.  I read the above quote and LOVED IT.

Hell, maybe I am such a funk b/c I don't have anything except the earth and universe to believe in.  There is no one guiding my life.  My destiny is in MY hands and I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it at the moment.  If only I thought a god could lead me to the right decisions - life would be sooo much easier.

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."