Thursday, June 24, 2004

Vacation, Vacation, Vacation!!!

A few days after my b-day, Fi and I went on a tiny (in duration and size) cruise to Grand Bahama. If I don’t see another buffet for the next….week, I will be a very happy girl, as opposed to a very full, bloated, and lethargic girl.



We rented a scooter from a guy named “Doobie” who, when asked what the coolest local part of town was, answered “the ghetto, maan”. I don’t know if he was full of shit or what but I definitely got the impression that the natives resent the tourists and I can't say I blame them as I also live in a tourist destination and mock them every chance I get.



I first visited the island back around 1988 and OH MY GOD HAS IT CHANGED. One good thing about the island is the deliciously warm and simultaneously crystal clear waters. We found a beach without a single person and I got to topless for a while.



**Side note: it’s a great feeling – if you haven’t tried it you really should.**



While we were in the water we could see a HUGE thunderstorm brewing on the other side of the island. It might have had something to do w/ the alternating extremely warm and slightly chilly currents flowing past us. I’ve been to beaches hundreds of times and have never experienced such distinct currents before.



I love getting away from the main crowd – the last thing Fi and I wanted to do was spend our day off the ship with the rest of our “mates” on a crowded island. That one of the major reasons we work. We both think the same ways in the times that count – free times.



We did go the ghetto for lunch and were not at all disappointed. I had the best cracked conch ever, and he had a great lentil and dumping soup. I believe we also drank more on this vacation than we have in the past year combined (we prefer the Mary Jane).



Our cabin was very cool also. We upgraded to one at the very front of the ship and you could tell by the shape of the room – really dark wood walls, ceiling, and basically everything else except for a few pink wall. We had this huge wooden support beam (shaped like a decorative I-beam) in the center of the cabin and a King size bed in a separate room. For us, this is way swanky. The Ship’s TV had “ship view” which was basically our view. It took us an embarrassingly long time to figure that out.



My favorite part of the trip was the last night. We went to the front of the ship which also happened to be the darkest part of it and watched the most amazing lightning storm brewing over Miami. There were stretches that had 8 full seconds of lighting. We couldn’t see any arcs, only the clouds lighting up in a spectacular display by my god – Mother Nature.



Standing at the front of the ship (almost Titanic style) with all that wind and nature showing us her best was mesmerizing and the pinnacle of a pretty cool and much needed escape.




"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."